StFX Athletics is pleased to announce that the Father Kehoe Golf Classic tournament, presented by the X Varsity Club, will be held on Friday, July 24, 2020 at the Antigonish Golf & Country Club.
This year will mark the 27th edition of the event, named in honor of former StFX Athletic Director Father George Kehoe who passed away in a tragic automobile accident in 1991.
The tournament is an important part of the university’s efforts at maintaining a tradition of excellence in varsity athletics, with one hundred percent of the proceeds raised going directly to supporting StFX’s varsity athletic teams in the areas of athletic financial awards, exhibition and out-of-conference travel, academic support programs, and specialized equipment purchases.
Please note that due to COVID-19 safety protocols, the following changes are implemented for the 2020 Father Kehoe Golf Classic as Nova Scotia government safety protocols must be enforced at all times. Please note protocols may change as provincial public health regulations evolve. We thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
Antigonish Golf & Country Club:
- Maximum 4 golfers per group (no additional golfers or walkers permitted)
- Progressive tee time intervals will be used starting at 11:00 am and scheduled 10 minutes apart
- Golfers must only arrive 20 minutes prior to their tee time
- Pin flags must remain in the holes and not be removed during play
- Golfers are required to leave immediately following their round, no gatherings are permitted
- The restaurant at the golf course is closed. Beverages are being served out of the Pro Shop and the beverage cart will be on the course.
- Participants must adhere to all current Nova Scotia social distancing regulations
Father Kehoe Classic Registration:
As of Thursday, July 16th we have reached our capacity of teams for the 2020 event and are no longer accepting registrations
- Due to COVID-19 protocols, all registration must be submitted in advance online by using our registration form. Full names of all four golfers must be submitted in advance.
- All teams must submit the full $500 team registration fee in advance. No payments will be accepted at the golf course and no teams will be permitted on the golf course without advance payment of registration fees.
- Teams must pay in full no later than Monday, July 20th - your spot will not be held after this deadline. Verbal commitments will not be accepted and team payments will not be accepted the day of the event. All teams must be registered and paid in full by July 20th.
- Any teams who have booked a second cart with the golf course must pay for the second cart at the Pro Shop. One cart per team is included with your registration fee, second carts are on a first come, first serve basis with the golf course.
- Organizers will follow up via email in advance of the tournament to confirm tee times, and to outline the registration check-in protocol for the day of the event, based upon evolving public health safety protocols.
- Registration may be accepted via the following methods:
- credit card information submitted via the registration form
- credit card information submitted via telephone to Krista McKenna, 902-870-4207
- cheque mailed to StFX Athletics, PO Box 5000, Antigonish, NS, B2G 2W5
- invoice requested via email for company/business
Sponsorship Contact: Michelle White, email@example.com
Golfers should take note that the tournament is a four-person scramble for the one-day event. All golfers will receive a StFX customized gift with their registration. We are excited to have Labatt (Bud Light), PepsiCo. and Bird Construction on board this summer as major sponsors of the Father Kehoe Golf Classic. Golfers can look forward to complementary BBQ during their round. We will also have food & drink giveaways on the course, along with closest-to-the-pin and long drive contests!
The Organizing Committee is pleased to offer the use of one power cart per team, included with your team entry fee. Should your team require an additional cart, a limited number of carts are available and must be booked in advance by contacting the Antigonish Golf & Country Club Pro Shop at 902-863-4797 on a first-come, first-served basis. The $40 cost of the cart is due payable to the golf course at the time of booking.
The Organizing Committee reminds all teams (four-person scramble) to please register in full by Monday, July 20th, thanking you in advance for your cooperation and full team payment by the registration deadline. Due to COVID-19 safety protocols, all teams must submit registration fees in advance. No payments will be accepted at the golf course, and no teams will be permitted on the golf course without advance payment of registration fees. The registration cost for the tournament is $500/team.
Tee times for the tournament will begin at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, July 24th and will be scheduled in intervals every 10 minutes. Golfers must only arrive 20 minutes prior to their tee time and are required to leave the Antigonish Golf & Country Club immediately following their round, we are not permitted to hold any post-game gatherings. The tournament prizes will be announced online later in the evening on July 24th.
We thank you for your participation and look forward to seeing your team this summer in Antigonish at the 2020 Classic as we celebrate 27 years of honoring Father George Kehoe and supporting StFX varsity athletics!
The Legacy of Father George Kehoe
Father Kehoe graduated from StFX in 1952 and was a three sport athlete (hockey, basketball, and rugby). He returned to campus as the men’s hockey coach in 1961 and coached for eleven years including participation in four national championships, becoming the winningest hockey coach in StFX history.
Father Kehoe was appointed Athletic Director in 1968, a position he held for 23 years. He served the AUAA (now AUS) as President for two terms and was the Vice President of the CIAU (now CIS) for a single term. In 1983 Father Kehoe was inducted into the StFX Sport Hall of Fame, followed five years later with an induction into the Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame.