Sydney, NS - The Cape Breton University Capers took the game to very end, but ended up losing a very close game to their rival StFX X-Men 94-87, in a jam-packed Sullivan Field House.
Julius Antoine (Vaughan, ON) led the way for the victorious X-Men, scoring 23 points, and added seven rebounds. The leading scorer for the hometown Capers was Indiana Rotondo (Vaughan, ON) who also had 23 points.
Turning point: With the ball on offense and a three point lead, Jaydan Smith (Halifax, NS) drilled a clutch three pointer, giving the X-Men a 90-84 lead and sealing the deal, giving them all they would need for the win.
- Julius Antoine led StFX with 23 points and seven rebounds. Kevin Bercy (Kanata, ON) also had a big game, scoring 19 points and six rebounds.
- Jaydan Smith netted a season-high 17 points off the X-Men bench, going 3-for-4 from downtown, including a pair of three-pointers in the final two minutes of the game.
- Indiana Rotondo came off the bench to deliver a team-high 23 points for the Capers.
- Martin Campbell (Upper Marlboro, MD) was an assist shy of a triple-double, ending with 10 points, 14 rebounds, and 9 assists.
- Kevon Mascoe (Scarborough, ON) contributed with 22 points for the Capers.
News & Notes:
- The Subway Player of the Game was StFX's Julius Antoine.
- StFX with the big four-point win in the standings improves to 5-7.
- The Capers record drops to 2-10.
The Capers will tip-off against the UPEI Panthers in Charlottetown next weekend, playing Saturday, Jan. 27th at 6:00 pm and Sunday, Jan. 28th at 1:00 pm.
The X-Men return home to Antigonish to host Dalhousie this Tuesday, Jan. 23rd, at 8:00 pm at the StFX Oland Centre.
Courtesy CBU Sports Information